Tuesday, April 21, 2009

hymn

Can you tell that I LOVE music? I do. It's just a shame that I wasn't born with a voice to be able to sing any of them outside the confines of my minivan or kitchen. This song is one of my all time favorites. Actually, I probably have about 500 all time favorites. And as I get older, my favorites list gets longer. That's ok with me. I have so many other things in my life where I have ONE thing I like and that's it. Like restaurants...I generally order the exact same thing at a restaurant and I never, I mean, NEVER sway from my all time favorites. But music, now that's an area I have lots of likes. Anyway, back to the reason for this post. I think of Caleb when I hear this song. I hear the first few lyrics of this and I think, "yes, Caleb, we would. And we are. We are leaving to look for you. We are sailing the farthest seas, we are coming to find you. No matter how far. No matter how long. No matter how hard. No matter how much money. No matter how scary. No matter what. We will seek you and find you. You can not be too far. Ever."

And, of course, if you listen to the whole song, you know that it is being sung to God. She's asking if and how far God will go to find us. Even if we run. Even if God has to forfeit His glory to get to us. I know the answer and I love this song.

Hymn
by Brooke Fraser

If to distant lands I scatter
If I sail to farthest seas
Would you find and firm and gather 'til I only dwell in Thee?
If I flee from greenest pastures, would you leave to look for me?
Forfeit glory to come after
'Til I only dwell in Thee
If my heart has one ambition
If my soul one goal to seek
This my solitary vision 'til I only dwell in Thee
That I only dwell in Thee
'Til I only dwell in Thee

1 comment:

Shirlee McCoy said...

I love that hymn.

Your new son looks happy and handsome and full of life. Praying you'll be able to travel quickly to bring him home!