Thursday, August 13, 2009

bad shoe choice for state fair



Although our state fair involves plenty of my top 10 things in life that I could do without (heat, humidity, animals, heat, crowds, heat, foods that seem like a good thing at the time yet inevitably end up making me feel sick and several pounds heavier, heat, and...need I go on?!) we have made it a yearly tradition in our family. I'll just say that the pictures always turn out way cuter and perfect looking than I am ever feeling at the moment. Last night it was my shoes. I hate walking around the fair in flip flops or sandals b/c there are just too many nasty things on the ground. But I also hate wearing anything BUT sandals/flip flops in the summer b/c I'm always hot and having my feet feel hot as well generally puts me over the edge. And over the edge is not a happy place for me to be or for my family to have to be around. So I had this dilemma last night. Cool flip flops + nasty animal crud on my feet or semi-tennis shoes + clean but hot feet. I chose the latter and it ended up not being the best option. My semi-tennis shoes that LOOKED fairly cute and were supposed to keep me from feeling dirty and hot ended up giving me blisters about 1/2 an hour into the evening. We were there for over 4 hours. AND....I nearly had blisters on my hands too b/c the stinking stroller that we used for the first time was nearly impossible to steer. So although I spent most of the time complaining about how hot it was (it was SUPPOSED to be just 82 degrees yesterday...no way. it was NOT that cool at the fair.) and how much my feet and hands hurt, it was still fun. Sort of. In a hot, miserable kind of way.

Of course, none of these photos would ever make you think that we had anything less than a grand time last night. The kids had a fabulous time. And maybe in a few years I'll look at these and think that I did too...



Really. Does it get any sweeter than this next one? Caleb is in his happy place with two of his favorite things in life: things with wheels and his thumb.


More wheels...this time without his thumb!



And the fair wouldn't really be quite as fun without our friends the Shanks.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

FUN! I love the state fair!
The FOOOOOOD!These pictures make me want a turkey leg.
Sorry about the shoes,but your feet would have been worse with flops. The ground at a fair is NASTTTTTYYYYYY!

xoxo,
A

The Kelly's said...

We went to the fair last night too! It's funny you mentioned the shoes. On our way in this lady tripped over her flip flop. Mike said, "that's what you get for wearing flip flops to the fair". As soon as he said that he looked down and noticed I was wearing flip flops. He then went on and on about how nasty that was and how dirty and gross my feet were going to be. I HATE wearing tennis shoes, even when I go for a walk! I'm glad you guys had fun. The pictures are cute.

Sherry at the Zoo said...

We're going next week. I'll be choosing my shoes very carefully!

Everyone looks so happy and your girls look WAY TOO GROWN UP!

Have you started school yet?