Tuesday, May 12, 2009

may 12

It was exactly one year ago today that tragedy struck China. A 7.9 earthquake occurred just 50 miles from Chengdu. Over 70,000 people died and millions were left homeless. Caleb's orphanage was slightly damaged. The children ended up being evacuated from the building and lived in make-shift tents for a while. It was the longest, most difficult part of the past year for us. I could not sleep for days b/c I knew that his orphanage was lacking basic necessities at the time. When I heard that they were in need of blankets for the kids b/c they were sleeping outside and it was cold at night, I completely lost it. I had closets FULL of blankets, and quilts, and sheets, and comforters and yet could do nothing at all to help. The thought of Caleb trying to sleep outside on a cold night was too much for me to handle.

So, although it isn't easy being in limbo right now and not knowing when we will be able to go to China, nothing was as hard as this day last year. I'm thankful that he is safe tonight. And warm. And so very close to being home.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh JULIA-
That made my heart sink.
I cannot imagine what you were feeling.
He will be home soon...I just know your news is coming.

xoxo,
A

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.