Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday, June 12

First of all, Happy B-day Caleb! It is his 4th birthday today and little does he know what his belated gift is. A family. We can't wait to meet him! Only two more days. Yikes. Seems a bit unreal.
Here is what we spent our day doing...

Temple of Heaven


Tian'anmen Square


Forbidden City




Traditional lunch in our own private room w/in the restaurant. We couldn't stop laughing b/c it seemed so fancy and formal and silly for us to be in our own room. Loved the food.


Silk Factory
Summer Palace


Needless to say, we're exhausted. I did have to break out my umbrella today to try and get some relief from the sun. Hot. Nothing else to add other than that. And umbrellas are really quite the thing here anyway. Everyone carries them around. Old and young women alike.
And now, for Kara, Anna, and Nathan's viewing pleasure...


The "squatty potty"


I did NOT use one today. I just couldn't do it. All of the places we went to today had at least one "western style" toilet to use. I hate public bathrooms in general...squatting over a hole in the ground was a bit too much for me to try. Kara and Anna and Nathan, you'll love this: in most public restrooms, there is either no toilet paper at all or there is one toilet paper dispenser just outside the bathroom area. You have to grab some toilet paper (which is really more like crete paper) before you go in to the bathroom. I'll just say that it is very important that you "guesstimate" fairly well how much you'll need b/c once you're in the bathroom and, you know, going, there isn't anything to use except the stuff you grabbed before you walked in. Interesting to say the least. Oh, and as I stood in line for the "western style" toilet today I got an uncomfortably close-up demonstration on how exactly to use the squatty potty. There was this one older Chinese woman who felt no need to close the bathroom door as she went. Seriously. I really didn't need that visual. I'll probably never forget it. Sorry to any of you who may not have children and thus don't understand why I'm sharing bathroom details here. My kids love that stuff. And I am not ashamed to say that I stood in front of a line of curious looing Chinese women (probably thinking, "what in the WORLD is that lady doing?!") and took potty pictures!

10 comments:

{Happy Homes} said...

You should SO write a book!! That potty stuff is hysterical!!! I love the fact you were laughing about having you're own private room...kind of like at the hospital while the nurses still have the baby and you get one last date before your a new family!! Happy Birthday to Caleb! and oh, such a Happy Birthday to your whole family!! ;0)Thanks for sharing the details...I feel like I'm on a travel log;0) love and much rest!!
t

{Happy Homes} said...

Oh, and glad you took pics of the toilet! Joey and Pat will love it!

Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm so jealous that you got to see and walk on and hike up the Great Wall of "friggin" China! How stinkin cool is that? And what happened to Andy on the plane that he had to make up for it by being all manly and scaling the highest heights of the wall? Did he have to use the puke bag? Lord have mercy! (Tell him I can't belive that if he had to use it.) And I must say, that is the Taj Mahal of squatty potties! I've seen MUCH, MUCH worse ones in Albania and Haiti! In the college dorms in Albania they use textbook pages (that they have finished reading) as toilet paper. So count your blessings! This blog is so cool. I feel like I'm watching the Amazing Race. Say hi to Andy and Happy B-day to Caleb! (And did I see someone write on here that you guys just celebrated a wedding anniversary in China too? Crazy! Happy anniversary if that applies as well.) Tell Andy to e-mail or Facebook me about some of his experiences since you've been there. Love ya and praying for ya!

Anonymous said...

In case you didn't know, kreegdog is Sean Krueger by the way :-)

trina said...

I'm laughing so hard. I'm sure your kids are loving all the details. I'm glad you are having a wonderful trip. Happy Birthday, Caleb!!!

Andrea said...

HOLY MOLY!
I was about to go to bed and decided to check my travel blog!
What GREAT NEWS!!!!
Can't wait to follow!
we have a rodeo and camp tomorrow..but I will catch up on MONDAY!!
Kisses to you, girl!
ENJOY EVERY SECOND!
Go get him!

Andrea

Sherry at the Zoo said...

I've heard the squatty potty stories from my brother, but seeing the visual reinforces my thought that I will NOT be traveling to China anytime soon! Did you bring any of your own toilet paper? Are bathrooms hard to find? I can't imagine having to go "right now" and not being able to find somewhere to go.... LOL!

Can't wait to read your blog after you've met Caleb. I'm so excited for you I can't stand it! The anticipation........

Hugs

Team Houston said...

Love the pictures!!!!

Happy Birthday Caleb.

Great photos.

Can't wait for the big day!!!

xoxo Michele

Book Club said...

Julia and Andy- In case push comes to shove on the whole toilet paper issue, remember your sock is always available... Roger

danimal2010 said...

Your potty jokes are hilarious!